The museum was

This entry was posted by on Monday, 22 February, 2010 at

The museum was founded for teaching by a professor at the University of Moscow, Ivan Vladimirovich Tsvetaeva philologist, son of the historian Dmitri Ilovaiski. Thanks to their efforts, the State Duma of Moscow was given a spot in the center of town called Kolimazni Dvor (Road House), not far from the Kremlin. The building, classic lines with Ionic columns, the Roman design I. Klein. It opened in 1912, named after Tsar Alexander III of Russia. Initially, the museum focused on classical sculpture, showing mostly plaster casts that were used to learning new artists, but the Soviet Revolution of 1917 made a change in direction. The new communist government decided to expand it in 1924 nationalized artwork, mostly from private collectors who had fled the country. Therefore, the Pushkin Museum has very different funds of Egyptian archeology, Greek vases, textiles and prints. Room of the museum of sculpture reproductions in plaster.In the period 1924-30, the museum grew substantially, thanks to the works transferred from St. Petersburg, most from the Hermitage. And was intended to balance the artistic wealth of the two cities and, incidentally, relieve congestion at the Hermitage. Pushkin was also ascribed to the different landscapes and genre scenes of the Tretyakov Gallery, and more than 500 European paintings of the Rumyantsev Museum, along with drawings, engravings, coins and a valuable library. The institution received its present name in 1937. In 1948, the so-called State Museum of Western Art, which had been created with the Shchukin and Morozov collections, was dismantled and its funds were divided between the Hermitage and Pushkin. As a result, both museums have celebrated Impressionist, avant-garde works. In 2008, it was announced that the architect Norman Foster and his team designed a comprehensive plan to reform the museum, budgeted at 177 million.The project includes the construction of several buildings for library, movie theater and offices, and better harmonization of the various buildings that have been added previously. It is expected that the museum closes its doors in 2009, to reopen in 2012, coinciding with the celebration of its centenary.

Comments are closed.